The purpose of this award program is to encourage students to pursue a degree in environmental studies or a related field. Funds may be used for the educational institution’s tuition, books, supplies and equipment, or technical materials.
Graduating high school seniors and college and post-graduate students with plans to pursue a career in science with an environmental or natural resources focus, environmental education, wildlife conservation, environmental law or public policy, environmental engineering, and conservation nonprofit will be given preference and are invited to apply for a Scholarship for Environmental Studies. Application deadline is March 30, 2023. Scholarships will be awarded June 2023.
The committee will not consider funding for:
- Travel-related expenses.
- Projects which are funded through other grants from other sources.
- Activities involving any organization employing the applicant.
- Activities which do not demonstrate a proven commitment to a particular discipline.
- Activities not related to the enhancement of the applicant’s major course of study.
- Medical, pre-med, dental, or nursing programs.
Eligibility: In order to be eligible for a Scholarship for Environmental Studies, applicants must meet both of the following criteria.
- Resident of Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry or Lee County
- Pursuing degree pertaining to environmental studies, including science, education, engineering, conservation nonprofit, and law.
Application Process: Applicants must complete an application form and submit the following documents:
- A maximum one page single spaced essay describing personal and scientific goals, accomplishments and proposed scientific project/course of study. Identify the school(s) you will be attending and/or have applied to. Please provide as much detail as you feel is necessary.
- Three current letters of reference concerning scientific ability and character.
- Current school transcripts of courses completed within the last four years.
- A copy of college acceptance letter if not already enrolled.
ALL INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL.
Complete applications must be received by mail or email by March 30, 2023.
Please send all materials by EMAIL.
OR snail mail:
J.N. “Ding” Darling Wildlife Society Scholarship Fund
c/o Wendy Kindig, Education Committee Chair
P.O. Box 565, Sanibel, FL 33957
Information: 239-472-1100 ext. 4
Multiple scholarships will be awarded for $1,000 or more. Applicants need to fill out only ONE application to be considered for all of the scholarships. Click HERE to read about 2022 scholarship donors and recipients.
To become a sponsor of a scholarship for $1,000 or more, contact DDWS Associate Executive Director Sierra Hoisington at 239-472-1100 ext. 233 or click HERE.